Subject: Re: Resetting ip, icmp etc statistics
To: None <>
From: Havard Eidnes <>
List: tech-net
Date: 03/31/2006 09:56:05
> On Thu, Mar 30, 2006 at 08:44:21PM +0100, David Laight wrote:
> > Generally resetting stats is a bad idea since you don't actually kn=
> > how many different pieces of software are trying to read them.
> >
> > Much better is to have a display program capable of showing you the=
> Agreed, but we already have precedent in ifconfig -z

...and I made that exact same argument when that was introduced, but wa=
summarily ignored.  This is bad if you run e.g. an SNMP agent, since
e.g. the interfaces MIB specifies that the counters must be monotonical=
increasing as long as the agent's uptime increases, and this introduces=
way for an administrator to break the specified behaviour.

- H=E5vard