Subject: RFC: rearrange the Atheros HAL sources
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: David Young <dyoung@pobox.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 03/15/2006 18:51:21
I would like to rearrange our Atheros HAL sources in sys/contrib/ to
ease HAL importation from FreeBSD and madwifi.org.  Here is the new
arrangement that I propose:

        sys/contrib/dev/ath/
                COPYRIGHT README ah_desc.h freebsd version.h ah.h
                ah_devid.h public
        sys/contrib/dev/ath/netbsd/             OS "glue"
                ah_if.m ah_osdep.c ah_osdep.h
        sys/contrib/dev/ath/public/             OS-independent binaries
                arm9-le-thumb-elf.hal.o.uu arm9-le-thumb-elf.inc
                arm9-le-thumb-elf.opt_ah.h
                ... HALs ...
                xscale-le-elf.hal.o.uu xscale-le-elf.inc
                xscale-le-elf.opt_ah.h

This will ease updates by myself and by other developers.  I believe
we will get more frequent HAL updates following this rearrangement,
both by reducing the work and increasing in manpower.

Just a few facts that may quiet a few objections before they start:

        This is not a settled or imminent change.  I may not make
            the change myself, since I'm "purty durned busy."

        I am responsible for the present arrangement of the sources,
            which was designed, for better or for worse, to parallel
            the sys/ hierarchy.

        With the current arrangement, importing HALs is more work and
            more error-prone than with the FreeBSD/Linux arrangement,
            but there is enough of a hump that it does not happen as
            often and as quickly as we would like, moreover,

        the additional work will be mine and a couple of others'; in
            all likelihood, it will not be your work.

Dave