Subject: Re: updating NetBSD's libpcap to 0.9.4
To: None <tech-net@NetBSD.org>
From: David Young <dyoung@pobox.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 02/27/2006 22:31:26
On Mon, Feb 27, 2006 at 04:17:49PM +0100, Matthias Drochner wrote:

> Hi -
> I'm almost ready to update libpcap in -current to 0.9.4.
> I'd prefer a reachover build this time, as this
> avoids the mess with Makefiles and configure generated
> stuff.
> I'll import the sources and the patches I consider necessary
> to src/dist/libpcap later, and I'll append the
> reachover stuff (which replaces everything in src/lib/libpcap)
> to this mail. (It will also need a trivial patch to
> usr.sbin/pf/pflogd/Makefile, and distrib/lists updates,
> for complete integration.)
>
> Please reviev and/or test this stuff.
> (I've tested on i386 and alpha, the former also with FDDI.)
>
> I've tried to keep the patches to the original minimal.
> It does need only little to compile with WARNS=3 which is,
> well, two more than before:-)
> What I've left out so far is:
> -stylistic changes or changes which can easily be done
>  with a CPP macro (eg __attribute__((unused)))
> -changes to #includes which are appearently unneeded
> -format string changes in bpf_image.c where the purpose is
>  not obvious (and the commit message useless)
> -I didn't bother to pull in OpenBSD pf related headers
>  from src/sys yet; libpcap comes with its own definitions.
>  (I'm not sure about this one - I hope we are compatible.)
> -the API change to pcap_compile_nopcap() which passes
>  an error buffer -- it is not worth the confusion imho
>  (This will necessiate a major shlib version bump!)

Please don't change that API, it's better with the error buffer argument
(tcpdump.org should pick up that change), and it's been that way in
NetBSD for years.

IIRC, NetBSD contains substantial patches to libpcap that developers
are not content to throw away, so please do the usual "import to vendor
branch, merge vendor changes with trunk" dance with libpcap 0.9.4.
I assume that is what you're doing, I just want to make sure.

Dave