Subject: Re: mutating IPv4 aliases on NetBSD 2 systems
To: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: tech-net
Date: 02/25/2006 21:32:34
On Fri, Feb 24, 2006 at 03:54:40PM -0500, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 24, 2006 at 04:05:24PM +0100, Jukka Salmi wrote:
> >
> > By default, wol(1) sends the packet to 255.255.255.255 - what causes
> > trouble in my case because the interface's first address has a /32
> > netmask. Thus the packet was sent the local host... After restart,
> > when the first address had its correct /28 netmask again, this worked
> > again of course.
>
> You have severely misconfigured your system.  It is hard to imagine
> what sane meaning it could possibly have to have two host addresses
> on the same physical segment with different -- but overlapping --
> netmasks.

Didn't NetBSD work this way at one time ? I have a 1.6.2 server configured
with /28 on the primary IP and /32 for aliases (all in the /28 subnet) on
the same interface. I clearly remember that using /28 for the primary IP and
aliases didn't work (I don't remember the exact behavior though).
Something probably changed in this area since 1.6.x

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>