Subject: Re: mutating IPv4 aliases on NetBSD 2 systems
To: None <joerg@britannica.bec.de, tech-net@NetBSD.org>
From: List Mail User <track@Plectere.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 02/24/2006 08:15:45
	In case nobody else replying has ever used it, "wol" generates
"magic packets" which are addressed to the MAC address (i.e. what arp
shows).  I believe that the IP address is either entirely ignored or is
purposely set to 255.255.255.255 to broadcast to all hosts.

	Assuming we are speaking of the same program (the one in pkgsrc),
the syntax is "wol [OPTION] ... MAC-ADDRESS ...".

	So the only way a "mutating" IP would interfere would be to prevent
a lookup of the hostname in the arp table (OK routing table) or in the file
/etc/ethers from functioning;  Thus a workaround (though not a fix) would be
to add/creat an entry or entries in /etc/ethers for the machine you wished
to control using "wol".

	Paul Shupak
	track@plectere.com