Subject: Re: Changing the PHY status reporting
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: Mihai CHELARU <kefren@netbsd.ro>
List: tech-net
Date: 02/19/2006 19:57:18
"Steven M. Bellovin" <smb@cs.columbia.edu> wrote in message
news:<20060218233626.26F1C3C028F@berkshire.machshav.com>...
> Also note that CARP runs as
> protocol 112

This is bad. Is CARP supposed to interact at all with VRRP ? Is so, patent
issues may appear.
If not, network meltdown may appear. Using IANA protocol numbers as we want
is not such a good
idea and I hope NetBSD will NOT do it. Standards keep running the internet
and no one will be
glad to insert a device into its network that is known not to work like
and/or interact well with the
rest of the network.

IMHO, until IETF comes up with something else or until Cisco will drop all
its charges regarding the
similarities between VRRP and HSRP, we have nothing to do but wait. And
anyway, in this IP world
we're living, writing a small script that check availability over IP isn't
such a big deal ;)

--
Regards,
Mihai