Subject: Re: Network problems; no name lookups, no real connection?
To: Jan Danielsson <jan.danielsson@gmail.com>
From: Gavan Fantom <gavan@coolfactor.org>
List: tech-net
Date: 02/02/2006 14:27:03
Jan Danielsson wrote:
>    I know absolutely nothing about networking, but I feel like blaming
> the isp for something. Anyone know what could be wrong? Any suggestions
> what I should try?

You could try traceroute, which should help you identify where the
problem is.

You might also want to check that the nameservers in /etc/resolv.conf
are correct. This file is generated by dhclient based on info from your ISP.

Also, be aware of the "-n" flag to ping, which causes it to not try DNS
lookups. Your inability to ping the remote host may actually be ping
trying to do a reverse DNS lookup on the IP address. This flag is also
available for traceroute.

--
Gillette - the best a man can forget