Subject: Re: PostgreSQL
To: Marcin Jessa <lists@yazzy.org>
From: Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-net
Date: 02/02/2006 11:04:12
--aPOcx+xoD6gZZHnz

On Thursday,  2 February 2006 at  0:06:35 +0000, Marcin Jessa wrote:
> Hi guys.
>
> I read some emails on one of the FreeBSD mailings list about MySQL
> performance on FreeBSD vs Linux and it seems like Linux performs
> better compared to FreeBSD 4.x and 6.x with different threading
> models. There are some benchmarks avaliable but unfortunatelly they
> do not include NetBSD.

For those of you who don't know, one of my other hats is being a
developer for MySQL.  Unlike FreeBSD, NetBSD is not a "fully
supported" platform for MySQL.  If anybody wants to change that, I'll
do what I can to help.

> Now, my O.S of choice is NetBSD and my open source database of
> choice is PostgreSQL.  I am working on a project which will use a
> pretty buisy database with many simultanous selects, inserts and
> update queries running on 64-bit Opteron CPU's.  I have little
> experience with running buisy databases and I basically used MySQL
> for things like small scale email services, user authentication with
> radius and web frontends (couple of hundred users).  I was wondering
> if any of you have experience with PostgreSQL's performance on
> NetBSD 3.0 or CURRENT compared to other open source O.S's.  What
> threading model will be used and how does database generally perform
> on NetBSD?  Please be honest, I promice not to cry if you suggest a
> different O.S :)

I'll follow the discussion with interest :-)

Greg

--aPOcx+xoD6gZZHnz

--aPOcx+xoD6gZZHnz--