Subject: struct socket and gid?
To: None <>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <>
List: tech-net
Date: 01/24/2006 23:33:15
(Please CC me on replies.)

PF offers a group keyword for a rule to only apply if the packets are from
sockets owned by the specified group.

This was noted by itojun in but there are
so many emails that I didn't see anything related to this.

Are there plans to have socket struct also contain the gid?

DragonFly (and FreeBSD) socket has:
        struct  ucred *so_cred;         /* user credentials */

And this ucred has various information like real group id, saved group id.

OpenBSD has the real and effective group IDs.

Anyways, I am curious: has there been any work or proposals related to
this for NetBSD?

Ploease carbon-copy me on replies.

 Jeremy C. Reed

 	  	 	 Open source, Unix, *BSD, Linux training