Subject: Re: rc.conf vs interface aliases
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: Michael van Elst <mlelstv@serpens.de>
List: tech-net
Date: 01/19/2006 07:07:12
mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA (der Mouse) writes:

>Sure, the rc.d side of it is relatively clean, as such things go.  It's
>the other side of it - rewriting /etc/ifconfig.* and /etc/pf.conf (and
>possibly others, though I know of no others yet) - that I find gross.

Rewriting is the only way to add flexibility.

If you don't want to rewrite files in /etc then you may chose some
other place and symlink.

If you don't want to rewrite files every boot then you could check
if they would be changed and skip the rewrite if the new version
would be identical.

                                Michael van Elst
Internet: mlelstv@serpens.de