Subject: anyone looked into a BCM43XX driver?
To: None <tech-net@NetBSD.org>
From: Jonathan A. Kollasch <jakllsch@kollasch.net>
List: tech-net
Date: 12/15/2005 11:12:03
--s/l3CgOIzMHHjg/5

Hi,
	Admittedly the only implementation of this I have is a WRT54G,
but now that the Linux people are writing a driver based on the
documentation derived from the disassembled driver I figured I should
poke people about it.  The documentation is at
http://bcm-specs.sipsolutions.net/.  Does anyone know if the people
at OpenBSD or FreeBSD have started anything?

	Unfortunately, I lack the ability to write this.  However,
I'd like to engage in some speculation.

	It seems that generic Sonics Silicone Back Plane support
would be ideal. Having support for this would make ports to Broadcom
platforms such as the 47-hundred series or 53-hundred series of SoCs
even easier. This bus/interface may already be used in the bce(4)
and bge(4) drivers, or NetBSD/sbmips.  Unfortunately the easily
available documentation on this matter is Linux's support for the
Linksys WRT54G and Netgear WGT634U.

	Considering the two other Broadcom Ethernet controllers'=20
driver names I propose this driver be called bcw(4) (BroadCom
Wireless) or bwn(4) (Broadcom Wireless Network).

I believe a NetBSD driver for the Broadcom 43-hundred series=20
wireless controllers would revolutionize NetBSD/macppc.  I would
love to help in any way I can.

	Jonathan Kollasch

--s/l3CgOIzMHHjg/5

--s/l3CgOIzMHHjg/5--