Subject: Re: connection bonding?
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: Brad <brad@comstyle.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 12/08/2005 18:34:03
On Thu, Dec 08, 2005 at 09:24:23AM -0500, matthew sporleder wrote:
> I thought openbsd's CARP could do this and was in pkgsrc.
> http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq6.html#CARP
> ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/packages/pkgsrc/net/ucarp/README.html
> http://www.ucarp.org/
>
> Although CARP is normally used for failover between servers, I don't
> see why it couldn't be used between nics on a single host.  If not,
> Bonding (linux-esque)/IP MultiPathing (solaris-esque) functionality
> has always seemed a bit lacking in netbsd.
>
> _Matt

CARP is for providing first hop redundancy gateway or virtual IPs for
clustered servers and other similar situations. Link aggregation
provides L2 link redundancy. OpenBSD's trunk(4)/NetBSD's agr(4) and Linux's
bonding driver are all implementations of link aggreation with different
sets of aggregation methods. Ultimately for "switch assisted" link aggreation
(or could be host to host too) everyone should be going towards 802.3ad which
everyone has except for Cisco and even they've started phasing out
EtherChannel for 802.3ad; fairly new products do not support EtherChannel.