Subject: Re: connection bonding?
To: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
From: None <jonathan@dsg.stanford.edu>
List: tech-net
Date: 12/07/2005 20:34:05
In message <20051208041331.D1CE93C0158@berkshire.machshav.com>,
"Steven M. Bellovin" writes:

>>[.. discussion of TCP reordering and vendors who got it wrong ...]
>>
>>Hi Steve,
>>
>>In fact, it's more than a feature, it's a _requirement_.
>>
>>IEEE 802.3ad requires that all packets (frames, in layer2-speak) in a
>>flow not be reordered (or htat they traverse the same path through a
>>link-aggreation group, I forget the exact wording, but the intent is
>>unmistakably clear. At least to anyone with our shared backgorund).
>>
>Yup -- it's a requirement precisely because of the problems I outlined.
>I was speaking more poetically when I phrased it as a I did.

hi Steve,

Sure, I could tell you knew (and would have guessed if I didnt'). I
just wanted to be crystal-clear to der Mouse. I should've addressed
Mouse and cc'ed you; sorry abou thtat.

For the record, IEEE ad the 2004/2005 edition of 802.3 downloadable at
no charge, thanks to corporate sponsorship (in sharp contrast to
normal IEEE policy, which is one big reason I'm not an IEEE member.)