Subject: NetBSD thanks WIDE and KAME for IPv6 implementation [was: Conclusion
To: None <tech-net@NetBSD.org>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubertf@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-net
Date: 11/09/2005 22:17:48
   * NetBSD thanks WIDE and KAME for IPv6 implementation

The NetBSD project would like to express its gratitude towards the
KAME and WIDE projects for their efforts towards bringing IPv6 to the
BSD world, and NetBSD in particular. The joint efforts of KAME, WIDE
and the NetBSD project resulted in a very stable solution that is used
in various research projects and by many vendors.

In particular, we would like to express our gratitude to Jun-ichiro
'itojun' Hagino of the KAME project who did a lot of the integration
work bringing KAME into NetBSD, and who also contributed to the NetBSD
community by writing documentation, webpages and answering numerous
questions patiently. With Itojun's help, KAME's IPv6 code was
initially imported in NetBSD's source tree in June 1999, and the first
release to contain the KAME IPv6 implementation was NetBSD 1.5 which
was released in December 2000.

Since then, NetBSD and its IP stack have been included in many
products, among them Internet Initiative Japan Inc.'s SEIL lightweight
routers for 128K/T1/DSL/ATM connection, Seclarity's SiNic Wireless
"router on a card", and NEC's UNIVERGE WNX Server as well as the
Campaign-Urbana Community Wireless Network project and Nixsys Public
Access UNIX System which provides IPv6 services using NetBSD.

The NetBSD project would like to wish the KAME project all the best
for its future, and we are looking forward to see further BSD-based
implementations of state-of-the-art technology and possibly their
integration in the NetBSD Open Source operating system.

About NetBSD: NetBSD is a free, secure, and highly portable Unix-like
Open Source operating system available for many platforms, from 64-bit
Opteron machines and desktop systems to handheld and embedded
devices. Its clean design and advanced features make it excellent in
both production and research environments, and it is user-supported
with complete source. Many applications are easily available through
The NetBSD Packages Collection.''

More information on NetBSD and IPv6 on NetBSD are available here:

http://www.NetBSD.org/
http://www.NetBSD.org/Documentation/network/ipv6/
http://www.NetBSD.org/guide/en/part-net.html

   - Hubert Feyrer