Subject: Re: Real Time O.S vs 'conventional' one.
To: Marcin Jessa <lists@yazzy.org>
From: Jim DeLisle <jdelisle@swellsoftware.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 10/26/2005 07:23:57
'Real Time' does not refer to how fast an OS runs. It refers to
determinism. In other words, the latency between the IRQ and the ISR
vector is consistent under any circumstances. A 'soft' real time OS,
like WinCE, for example, does not provide this level of certainty. One
version of real time Linux actually runs a small real time executive
which, in turn, runs Linux as a task. The real time elements are not
built into the Linux kernel itself, and applications that wish to
participate in real time scheduling do so through an interface to the
executive.

For WLAN hardware, using an RTOS probably wouldn't be getting you
anywhere you can't get with a well configured build of NetBSD or Linux.
I can't imagine a scenario where routing data packets would fall in the
same scheduling priority of shutting down a malfunctioning robotic welder.

Best Regards,
Jim DeLisle

--
Swell Software, Inc.