Subject: Re: frozen networking with libpcap-0.9.3nb3
To: Rui Paulo <rpaulo@fnop.net>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-net
Date: 10/11/2005 12:55:35
On Tue, 11 Oct 2005, Rui Paulo wrote:

> | When I exit trafshow (started as root), I noticed my networking was dead.
> |
> | I can't ping and all my connections are stop (not closed). The problem
> | does not happen for my loopback (127.0.0.1).
>
> What does ifconfig report ?

When trafshow is running:

tlp0: flags=8b43<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,PROMISC,ALLMULTI,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST>
mtu 1500

and my networking works.

When trafshow (or tcpdump) is stopped:

tlp0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500

> | How can I get my network to be up when I don't have trafshow running
> | (after I stop it)?
>
> You mean UP as in "interface state" or UP as in "networking state" ?

ifconfig says it is "UP", but I want it to work.

tcpdump says I have traffic out but nothing in.

I have not checked from another computer yet to see what tcpdump says
about this traffic.

My workaround for now is to just keep tcpdump running ...

  Jeremy C. Reed

p.s. Please carbon copy me on replies.