Subject: Re: IPv6 aliases on networking interfaces
To: Matthias Scheler <tron@zhadum.de>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 09/27/2005 10:39:58
On Tue, Sep 27, 2005 at 01:25:44PM +0100, Matthias Scheler wrote:

> 	Hello,
>
> I've just added an IPv6 alias address to the one and only network interface
> on my server like this:
>
> 	ifconfig wm0 inet6 ab:cd:ef:89::2 alias
>
> But "ifconfig" displays it as a second IPv6 address:

Even for IPv4, there's really no such thing as an "alias".  It is a
historical quirk that ifconfig prints addresses other than the first
one configured on a given interface with the word "alias" in front of
them; it is an accident of the current implementation that the first
one added is used for outgoing connections.

Thor