Subject: Re: Intel Gigabit driver wm(4) fiber phy
To: None <tech-net@NetBSD.org>
From: Matthias Scheler <tron@zhadum.de>
List: tech-net
Date: 09/13/2005 13:09:26
In article <86fys9fmq1.fsf@athene.hamartun.priv.no>,
	Tom Ivar Helbekkmo <tih@eunetnorge.no> writes:
> I haven't tried to get it to do that, but I have another weird problem
> with wm on my IBM T42p laptop: when it boots, the ethernet interface
> (which is hardcoded to 100baseTX FDX because it takes so long to do an
> autonegotiation against our gigabit capable switch) fails to come up.

Which is no surprise. You cannot turn off auto negotiation on the host
while leaving it turned on on the switch and expect that to work. You
might be lucky and it will with some setups. But there is absolutely
no guarantee.

About the autonegotiation time:
Ask the admin to deactive spanning tree support on at least the ports
used by host (and not other switches).

	Kind regards

--
Matthias Scheler                                  http://scheler.de/~matthias/