Subject: Re: Intel Gigabit driver wm(4) fiber phy
To: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
From: Tom Ivar Helbekkmo <tih@eunetnorge.no>
List: tech-net
Date: 09/13/2005 09:31:02
"Steven M. Bellovin" <smb@cs.columbia.edu> writes:

> My wm problem -- as I posted a few days ago, it won't autonegotiate
> 10baseT -- did not occur in 2.0; it does in 3.0beta and -current.

I haven't tried to get it to do that, but I have another weird problem
with wm on my IBM T42p laptop: when it boots, the ethernet interface
(which is hardcoded to 100baseTX FDX because it takes so long to do an
autonegotiation against our gigabit capable switch) fails to come up.
ifconfig-ing it down and up doesn't help: the only thing I've found
that gets it working is to wait until it's been ifconfig-ed, and then
unplug and reinsert the RJ45 drop cable.  Until I do this, it's dead.
The machine is running 3.99.8 at the moment.

-tih
--
Don't ascribe to stupidity what can be adequately explained by ignorance.