Subject: nfs between -current and netbsd-3
To: None <tech-net@NetBSD.org>
From: Rui Paulo <rpaulo@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-net
Date: 09/11/2005 19:36:46
--tmoQ0UElFV5VgXgH

Hi,
I'm getting some nfs debug messages on my desktop when talking to a
NetBSD 3.0_BETA nfs server. My desktop -current (some days late).

% dmesg | grep wcc                                                          [~]
quanta:/srv/nfs: inaccurate wcc data (mtime) detected, disabling wcc
quanta:/srv/nfs: inaccurate wcc data (mtime) detected, disabling wcc

The time skew between the NFS server and my desktop is ~30s.

I have no idea why this is happening and the comments on nfs_subs.c
say:
	/*
	 * despite of the fact that we've updated the file,
	 * timestamps of the file were not updated as we
	 * expected.
	 * it means that the server has incompatible
	 * semantics of timestamps or (more likely)
	 * the server time is not precise enough to
	 * track each modifications.
	 * in that case, we disable wcc processing.
	 * ...
	 */

So what could be happening here ? My desktop is faster than my NFS
server is it because of that ? How can the timestamps be incompatible
between two not-very-distant NetBSD versions (assuming that's the
problem) ? How can the server be "not precise enough" ?

Thanks,
		-- Rui Paulo

--tmoQ0UElFV5VgXgH

--tmoQ0UElFV5VgXgH--