Subject: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?tcpdump_capture_speed?=
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: Zafer Aydogan <zafer@gmx.org>
List: tech-net
Date: 08/28/2005 23:46:57
hello list,

I was wondering why the capture speed of tcpdump seems to be very slow.
If I listen to my own ssh connection, I can see a few packets flying around
and then a delay from a seconds and then again a few packets. Like stop and
go.
On a Linux system I get about 100 packets per Second.
With NetBSD it is only about 10 Packets per Second.
If I use the -ttt switch to display delta's, I can see that
there are only a bunch of packets captured in a row and then there is a big
delay up to 200000 microseconds. etc.etc.
The delta's on Linux are continusly about only 400 - 10000 microseconds.
FreeBSD is similar to NetBSD, very slow.
Can anybody explain why that is like that ?

Thanks, Z.