Subject: Re: ieee80211_mbuf_adjust
To: YAMAMOTO Takashi <yamt@mwd.biglobe.ne.jp>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@Pescadero.dsg.stanford.edu>
List: tech-net
Date: 08/16/2005 12:09:04
In message <1124179709.929198.2166.nullmailer@yamt.dyndns.org>,
YAMAMOTO Takashi writes:

>> There is still that matter of the questionable (most likely broken)
>> M_MOVE_PKTHDR use.  Seems to me that we should deprecate M_COPY_PKTHDR,
>> as FreeBSD has done, introducing M_MOVE_PKTHDR and M_DUP_PKTHDR.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>
>i have M_MOVE_PKTHDR in my local tree.

If we do acquire M_MOVE_PKTHDR(), we can clean up one more piece of
ugliness in sys/netipsec/ipsec_osdep.h.

I'm no longer sure what Sam explained to me as the problem with
M_COPY_PKTHDR(). I think it caused some real nastiness for other users
of packet tags.  Mandatory access controls (security MAC) a` la
TrustedBSD is one likely source of problems.

My $0.02: I agree with David, deprecating M_COPY_PKTHDR(), in favour
of an explicit MOVE or DUP is a good call.