Subject: Re: 80211 changes and wpa_supplicant
To: None <tech-net@NetBSD.org>
From: David Young <dyoung@pobox.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 08/12/2005 16:15:41
On Fri, Aug 12, 2005 at 02:19:00PM +0200, Ronald van der Pol wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 09, 2005 at 13:09:20 -0500, David Young wrote:
>
> > > I tracked it down to these defines in net80211/ieee80211_ioctl.h:
> > >
> > > #ifdef __FreeBSD__
> > > #define IEEE80211_IOC_SSID              1
> > > #endif /* __FreeBSD__ */
> > >
> > > #ifdef __FreeBSD__
> > > #define IEEE80211_IOC_BSSID             15
> > > #endif /* __FreeBSD__ */
> > >
> > > Are these really FreeBSD only or do they work in the NetBSD 80211 too?
> > > I suppose they work on NetBSD too because last weeks compile of
> > > wpa_supplicant worked fine. So I guess these #ifdefs should be removed
> > > or changed to __NetBSD__ .
> >
> > Ronald,
> >
> > I removed those ioctls, which have not appeared in any release, because
> > they duplicate the long-standing NetBSD ioctls SIOCS80211BSSID and
> > SIOCS80211SSID.  Use those ioctls, instead.
>
> I can find SIOCS80211BSSID in net80211/ieee80211_ioctl.h, but I cannot
> find SIOCS80211SSID.

Sorry, it's called SIOCS80211NWID.  Maybe I ought to make an alias.

> > > Does NetBSD support pcap_inject() ?
> >
> > No.
>
> Any plans to move to a higher version? I have compiled wpa_supplicant
> with the libpcap from pkgsrc and that one has pcap_inject().

Yes, I have been thinking about it.  IIRC, it was I who did the last
libpcap/tcpdump import.  It was a PITA, but we are so much more up-to-date
that a re-import should not be a big deal.

(wpa_supplicant really deserves to be part of the base system.  We agree,
no doubt, but installing from pkgsrc is expedient.)

> > > Is somebody else working on the WPA stuff?
> >
> > No.
>
> I think I can get it going and provide some patches against the
> FreeBSD code. However, I am not an experienced BSD developer.
> Therefore, I don't know what is the right thing to do with respect
> to (Makefile) changes. I'll try my best and look at other code samples.
> First, I have to get the stuff going again.

Careful, you may be duplicating some work.  The place to start is the
FreeBSD code.  That is, look at the scripts that Sam Leffler wrote to
import the latest wpa_supplicant.  I have sent the relevant paths in
FreeBSD to this list or current-users once or twice before.

Dave