Subject: Re: 80211 changes and wpa_supplicant
To: Ronald van der Pol <Ronald.vanderPol@rvdp.org>
From: Sam Leffler <sam@errno.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 08/09/2005 08:33:50
Ronald van der Pol wrote:
> After upgrading to the latest -current my wpa_supplicant did not work
> anymore. It failed with a:
>
> Starting AP scan (broadcast SSID)
> ioctl[SIOCS80211]: Invalid argument
> Failed to initiate AP scan.
>
> I tracked it down to these defines in net80211/ieee80211_ioctl.h:
>
> #ifdef __FreeBSD__
> #define IEEE80211_IOC_SSID              1
> #endif /* __FreeBSD__ */
>
> #ifdef __FreeBSD__
> #define IEEE80211_IOC_BSSID             15
> #endif /* __FreeBSD__ */
>
> Are these really FreeBSD only or do they work in the NetBSD 80211 too?
> I suppose they work on NetBSD too because last weeks compile of
> wpa_supplicant worked fine. So I guess these #ifdefs should be removed
> or changed to __NetBSD__ .
>
> I am switching from the original wpa_supplicant sources to the
> wpa_supplicant from FreeBSD-current now. Linking with the FreeBSD-current
> version fails with an undefined reference to `pcap_inject'.
>
> Does NetBSD support pcap_inject() ? I guess not, because I could only
> find a feature request for it from 1995.
>
> Is somebody else working on the WPA stuff? I noticed Sam Leffler on
> the new developers list.

Sorry I'm too snowed with other work to do any netbsd stuff right now
(hopefully after my holiday).

pcap_inject is (I believe) in the last libpcap I imported to FreeBSD for
the 6.0 release.  You can probably replace it with a straight write to
the underyling fd.

Can't tell you about the ioctl stuff; not sure what all has been
imported with net80211.

	Sam