Subject: Re: proposed fix for stray ifnet pointers from interface deletion
To: Greg Troxel <>
From: Bill Studenmund <>
List: tech-net
Date: 07/18/2005 11:59:53

On Tue, Jul 12, 2005 at 02:28:05PM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
> I wrote earlier about crashes due to stray ifnet pointers and
> interface deletion (pppd), and filed a PR:

The real fix for this is to add reference counts. That way we really know
when no one else has a copy of the pointer. Way back when I made the
initial patch for deleting interfaces, I added code so that we added and
deleted references, and only deleted the innards of an ifnet (and ifaddr) =
when the count went to zero. Thus we should be able to avoid this whole
class of errors.

Take care,

Version: GnuPG v1.2.3 (NetBSD)