Subject: Re: Policy Routing
To: Ivo Vachkov <ivo.vachkov@gmail.com>
From: Pavel Cahyna <pavel.cahyna@st.mff.cuni.cz>
List: tech-net
Date: 06/30/2005 10:53:16
On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 01:39:50 +0200, Ivo Vachkov wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I just want to ask will there be some to work on Policy Routing for
> NetBSD because I really want to work on that project, despite the fact
> I'm not approved by Google. Community interested ??? Or I could
> probably do it for FreeBSD/OpenBSD.

I'm interested in this, but you told very few details about your project.
How will the rules for your policy routing look like? You mentioned
extending struct rtentry. How will the routing table look like then?
Currently it is a tree which looks up routes according to destination
address. I don't see how it would use additional criteria like source
address or TOS.

Linux seems to have the routing table mostly unmodified, but there can be
multiple such tables and a system of rules then determine which one will
be used. Isn't this an easier alternative to extending the routing table
itself? (see www.lartc.org)

Bye	Pavel