Subject: Virtual interfaces, their parents and how they are configured
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: Nino Dehne <ndehne@gmail.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 06/23/2005 11:51:22
Hi,

while looking through a -current ifconfig man page recently, I noticed
that there is now an agrport option to attach a physical interface to
the virtual agr(4) interface.

Currently, there are at least the following virtual interfaces that use
the notion of (a) parent interface(s):

pppoe(4) - parent is configured via pppoectl -e
vlan(4) - parent is configured via ifconfig vlanif
agr(4) - parents are configured via ifconfig agrport

<nitpick mode>
Why is the option named agrport and not agrif?

Furthermore, would it be possible to just have something like ifconfig
parentif or just ifconfig parent? I find it cumbersome to have 3 different
methods to configure what is essentially the same concept.
</nitpick mode>

Please take this as input from a user. I have no clue if my wish maps
to internal structures easily. I just have the gut feeling that it should.

Regards,

ND