Subject: Re: Summer of Code: Policy routing / Implement IPv6 ipflow_fastforward
To: Ivo Vachkov <ivo.vachkov@gmail.com>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
List: tech-net
Date: 06/17/2005 13:05:37
Welcome to NetBSD, Ivo!

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005, Ivo Vachkov wrote:
> After all, IMHO, these projects are supposed to make CS students
> familiar with NetBSD and optionally gain some ideas or implement some
> feature. I doubt someone expects proffesional level in design and
> algorithms or 100% bug free implementation.

I think it would be a waste of everyones time to do the SoC project with a
sub-standard goal in mind, only to justify its existance but which gets
thrown away later. Instead, I'd rather see only a proper(!) design
document only, that others can work on from.

As such, Jonathan (leaving out the aggrssion) gave some interesting points
here, together with even some pointers for reading up on the matter, which
someone interested in the matter should probably follow, and then work
with NetBSD's people (or maybe just one, his SoC mentor) on the design
and implementation.

I think for NetBSD, the design document should be reviewed.
I'm not sure this should happen in all its length for the SoC project, as
it would burn a lot of time while work on an initial prototype could be
done instead.

  - Hubert