Subject: Re: Summer of Code: Policy routing / Implement IPv6 ipflow_fastforward
To: Ivo Vachkov <ivo.vachkov@gmail.com>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@dsg.stanford.edu>
List: tech-net
Date: 06/14/2005 11:49:07
In message <f85d6aa705061400122a6c9fc0@mail.gmail.com>,
Ivo Vachkov writes:
>> Also, source-based routing would be a big step for Strong ES support.
>
>Strong ES ??? What is this (the only think I found in Google was
>somehow connected with rfc1122, but I can't figure it out at first
>sight) ???

See:

1. RFC-1122 section  3.3.4 on multihoming, pages 60-65.

2. src/sys/netinet/ip_input.c, comments and uses of ip_checkinterface.

Policy-based routing, in the sense of picking next-hop address using
both (IP src address, IP dst address) instead of just (IP dst address)
is needed to do the parts of Strong-ES that we didn't get from UC
Berkeley CSRG.

Note that since 4.4BSD(?) integrated ARP lookup into the Patricia-tree
routing table, Strong-ES affects ARP lookup, over and above the note
in RFC-1122 about requiring a default route per local IP address (or
per strong-ES local address, if some local addresses are strong and
others are weak).