Subject: Re: [Summer of Code] WiFi Browser - requirements
To: None <tech-net@NetBSD.org>
From: David Young <dyoung@pobox.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 06/07/2005 18:58:46
On Tue, Jun 07, 2005 at 11:01:34PM +0100, Ricardo Pinto wrote:

> After some feedback, I've put together these requirements:
>

> Tech requirements
>    - Portability (through architectures, and even between BSDs)
>    - Wireless device independence
>
> UI requirements
>    - Easy to use (simple yet complete, with lots of info)
>    - Configurable, for external programs to access (like shell scripts)
>
> Functional requirements
>    - Information
>      - Access point MAC address
>      - BSSID
>      - BSS basic rate set (data rates available)
>      - Channel
>      - Protocol (for future use)
>      - RSSI (Received Signal Strength Indicator)
>      - SQ (Signal Quality)
>      - Authentication Algorithm Number (open system / shared key)
>    - Ability to select a network from the menu
>      - Automatic configuration of the interface
>
> Advanced stuff
>    - Saving parameters to files / creation of scripts for use with ifconfig(8)
>    - Matching manufacturers of APs through MAC address
>

> 	After taking a look at the wireless drivers, there is some work to be done
> on them, namely the creation of ioctl(2) interfaces (currently only available, partially, for ath(4))
> 	These interfaces would allow to set the card in one channel, take a peek, proceed to the next channel, until all channels are swept.

Ricardo, I believe that all of the ioctls you need do already
exist---for example, SIOCS80211CHANNEL changes the channel.

In your design, keep in mind that support for passive scanning is coming
soon for Atheros/ADMtek/Realtek/Ralink cards (from Sam Leffler).  It will
will probably not be available until version 3.1.

Dave