Subject: Re: [Summer of Code] WiFi Browser
To: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
From: Thomas Dickey <dickey@radix.net>
List: tech-net
Date: 06/07/2005 13:23:56
On Tue, Jun 07, 2005 at 08:03:26AM -0400, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 07, 2005 at 12:19:51PM +0200, Ivo Vachkov wrote:
> > On 6/7/05, Ricardo Pinto <rncp@mega.ist.utl.pt> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi there!
> > >
> > > I am interested in this project, so before I apply, I would like to have
> > > some feedback.
> > >
> > > - User interface will be done through curses(3), as it has been pointed
> >
> > ncurses is probably better solution
>
> I can't see why.  The curses library supports full modern curses
> functionality and is part of NetBSD.  If you want ncurses, you have to
> install it from pkgsrc.
>
> Since ncurses is (supposed to be) a superset of curses, code written
> to work with our curses library should work with ncurses just fine.

Not exactly.  NetBSD's curses is a subset of X/Open curses (with some
additional non-portable functions added).  ncurses is a (much more complete)
subset of X/Open curses (again with some functions added).

As an example of how not to write portable code, consider NetBSD's fork
of libcdk.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net