Subject: Re: [Summer of Code] WiFi Browser
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: Ivo Vachkov <ivo.vachkov@gmail.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 06/07/2005 18:14:22
On 6/7/05, Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de> wrote:
> On Tue, 7 Jun 2005, Ivo Vachkov wrote:
> > - Signal/Strength/Noise Monitor (look at my ugly code and screenshot
> > to get the main idea
> > http://www.unilans.net/development/projects/wi-mon/wi-mon-1.0.c and
> > http://www.unilans.net/development/screens/wi-mon/wi-mon.png )
> > - Current Status
> > - Dinamic choosing mode/AP/settings (probably a simple config window
> > in which you fill in the values and they get set immideately to the
> > hardware)
>=20
> Looks nice.
> Would this be integrated in some existing tool like systat(1) or be a
> standalone utility? Would it work with all network cards, or only with
> some? I think there's some wlanctl utility in -current that may be used
> to discover a few things too... I don't know how much of the functionalit=
> of them overlaps, but nicely integrating things would be good).
>=20
>=20
>   - Hubert
>=20
> --
> Genervt von Viren und von Viren versandten Spam-Mails?  -> www.NetBSD.de
> Fed up from viruses & virus-originated spam mail?       -> www.NetBSD.org
>=20

I wrote this for FreeBSD when I worked as network administrator in
wireless driven ISP. It uses ancontrol/wicontrol to gather stats so it
is not the best solution. It can easily be redone with proper
ioctl()s. By the time this code was written there were only Cisco and
Prism based WiFi cards and it supports them. New can be added with
minor design change.
The code is BSD licensed, anyone can use it. I posted the links
because it could be helpful for someone writing WiFi Browser :)

--=20
"UNIX is basically a simple operating system, but you have to be a
genius to understand the simplicity." Dennis Ritchie