Subject: Re: Google Summer of Code - Please approve this Project Idea -
To: Freek Sanders <freekisanders@gmail.com>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubertf@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-net
Date: 06/04/2005 17:55:30
On Sat, 4 Jun 2005, Freek Sanders wrote:
> I have a project in mind which will benefit every organization in the
> send list (Ubuntu, KDE, Gnome, Python, NetBSD, FreeBSD).

Not to discourage  you, but I see a number of problems for NetBSD at
least:

  * there's probably enough difference in the wlan infrastructure and
    configuration of all named operating systems (netbsd, freebsd,
    linux/ubuntu) that you'll have to create an abstraction layer first,
    upon which you can operate then.
  * NetBSD doesn't use ndiswrapper either
  * NetBSD doesn't ship python in the base operating system, thus users
    won't be able to use your program
  * As NetBSD is used on a number of platforms that will never run X (and
    thus no GNOME/KDE) but where wlan is important -- think embedded,
    having the tool available with a curses interface would be useful at
    least.

As a start, I recommend you become familiar with configuration of the WLan
infrastructure of the various operating systems. Some information for
NetBSD can be found in the various wavelan drivers' manpages (wi(4),
ath(4), iwi(4), etc.), the ifconfig(8) manpage that is mostly used to
configure wlan on NetBSD, and the following page, which gives an example
on configuring NetBSD for an Atheros card:
http://www.fehu.org/atheros-en.html.

  - Hubert

P.S.: the right thing for this in NetBSD would be tech-net@NetBSD.org

--