Subject: Re: tcp_input.c: simplify a v6 check slightly? [patch]
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@dsg.stanford.edu>
List: tech-net
Date: 05/19/2005 12:01:16
In message <E1DYpsw-0005qX-00@smeg.dsg.stanford.edu>Jonathan Stone writes

[...]

>Hubert, I must be missing something here. Can you help me see the
>benefit in `simplifying' this one usage, but not the other very
>similar usages?  I'm just not seeing it as much of a help, given that
>the mix of a half-dozen-odd other, positive and negative tests are
>still present.
>
>Maybe a macro, NULL_INP(inp, in6p) which sinelty discards its second
                                          ^^^^^^^
should be:                                silently

>argument altogether for the non-IPv6 case, and did a consistent check
>(always positive, or always negative, as you prefer) would be more
>consistent?
>
>Or then again, if there's only a half-dozen uses... why bother?

Hubert: no sarcastic intent on my part. I'm sincerely not seeing the
merit of changing this one particular instance out of several similar
ones.  Had you just not seen the other uses? Or is there something
else that I'm completely missing? (If so, can you point out what it is?)

thanks,
--Jonathan