Subject: Re: comment on tcp_input(): clarify "specification" [patch]
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@dsg.stanford.edu>
List: tech-net
Date: 05/19/2005 11:18:26
In message <Pine.GSO.4.61.0505191615440.1221@rfhpc8317>Hubert Feyrer writes

>In light of http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/637934, I was reading a bit of
>C source, and wondered if we should clarify what "the specification" (for
>tcp, aparently) is in the source, as per the following patch.
>
>Any objections?

It doesn't hurt (doesn't cost us anything) -- to clarify the reference
to RFC-793.  But in all honesty, it gives us absolutely *nothing*, too.

That quote is still in FreeBSD-4 source, so it's almost certainly been
in there since 4.4-Lite or earlier.  No-one has felt any need to
clarify the quote since; which to my mind, tends to suggest the
reference is superfluous. YMMV.

OTOH, if you want to change it, you should just cite RFC-793.
And yes, the page numbers of ASCII RFCs are fixed.