Subject: Re: about UDP tests
To: Eric Auge <eau@phear.org>
From: Timo Schoeler <timo.schoeler@macfinity.net>
List: tech-net
Date: 05/12/2005 16:12:02
thus Eric Auge spake:
> Hello,
>
> Ok here is another thought :
>
> after some more measurements, and 2 box connected w/ a crosscable,
> I had a really strange big loss of a thousand packets, that are not
> reported even in the internal counters  (systat inet.ip 1 :run).
>
> sending 10 000 000 udp packets at 40 000 p/s rate :
>
> I'm speaking about internal counters only :
>
> sender reports 10 000 000 packets sent
> received reports 9 993 728 (missing 6272)
>
> and my udp server test code reports
> 6272 missing.
>
> It doesn't happend all the time, just since i'm stress testing.
>
> is it possible that the nic card drops packets before passing to the
> driver ? like too much interrupts etc.. ?(that would explain the
> "missing" number in internal counters) ?.
>
> the nic card used on the server side is a realtek (rtk0).
>
> Regards,
> Eric.

hm,

AFAIK rtk-based NICs are meant to be... er... not so good.

can you try with fxp or another known-good chipset?

just a thought...

--
Timo Schoeler | http://macfinity.net/~tis | timo.schoeler@macfinity.net
//macfinity -- finest IT services | http://macfinity.net

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary
and those who don't.