Subject: Re: default route and private networks
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
From: Tom Ivar Helbekkmo <tih@eunetnorge.no>
List: tech-net
Date: 04/24/2005 10:49:07
Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org> writes:

> I do not think "odd hybrid" == supports, since the "Strong" model is
> more restrictive than the "Weak".

Since the strong and weak end host models are, in fact, defined, and
there are good uses for either, and NetBSD currently works somewhere
in between, wouldn't the best thing to do be to try to get NetBSD to
support both, and enable the sysadmin to choose, using sysctl, which
one he wants?  Possibly even, as Jason suggested, per address?

Within that framework, I think the tweak that I've wanted many times
could be added without breaking things: I want the weak end host
model, with the possibility to configure the IP stack to choose, for
outgoing packets not explicitly bound to any specific local address, a
default source address.  This would typically be the primary official
address of the host, as present in DNS.  It would probably make sense
to have two levels of such defaults: one per interface, one global.

-tih
--
Don't ascribe to stupidity what can be adequately explained by ignorance.