Subject: Re: default route and private networks
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@dsg.stanford.edu>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: tech-net
Date: 04/23/2005 12:05:05
On Sat, Apr 23, 2005 at 02:46:18AM -0700, Jonathan Stone wrote:
> Sorry: that was ambiguous. Subnets of a larger single-routed
> enclosuing (su)bnet, or disjoint ssubnets routed by distinct ISPs?
>
> Is it like this, where the left edge is, lets pretend, 12.224/16 and
> the right edge is 203.98/16, say:
>
> 12.224.1.1                                                      203.98.1.2
>                 ---------------                     ---------
> --- public IP | NetBSD 3.0 box |10.1.1.1----10.1.1.2| Router|Internet----
>                 ---------------                     ---------
>
> Or more like this, where lets pretend you have 203.98/16, which is
> locally subnetted it into mulple /22s, lets say:
>

> 203.98.10.1							203.98.20.2
>                 ---------------                     ---------
> --- public IP | NetBSD 3.0 box |10.1.1.1----10.1.1.2| Router|Internet----
>                 ---------------                     ---------
>

> where both left and right halves are part of a larger 203.98/x cloud
> for 16 <= X < 22 ?  I'm assuming the latter, but I'm trying to be precise.

Yes, it is the second case.

> Is this like the PPP scenario Thor mentioned? I forget the details,
> but IIRC Thor suggested a PPP-over-HDLC link beteen your NetBSD
> machine and the box labelled "router". Is it something like that?

In fact the NetBSD box is also a router (and the router is a NetBSD box too).
The difference is that the router is only a router, while the NetBSD
box does routing + a few more things.
The link between the NetBSD box and the router is a simple copper ethernet.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>