Subject: Re: default route and private networks
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@dsg.stanford.edu>
List: tech-net
Date: 04/23/2005 02:46:18
In message <20050423091757.GA2270@antioche.eu.org>, Manuel Bouyer writes:
>On Sat, Apr 23, 2005 at 01:37:39AM -0700, Jonathan Stone wrote:

>> In message <20050413171405.GA19330@antioche.lip6.fr>,
>> Manuel Bouyer writes:
>>
>> >Hi,
>> >I have the following setup:
>> >                _______________                     _________
>> >--- public IP | NetBSD 3.0 box |10.1.1.1----10.1.1.2| Router|Internet------
>-
>> >                ---------------                     ---------

>> You want outbound traffic to gos out the local 10.1.1.1 interface to
>> the box labelled "router", which forwards to the public Internet.
>> But what is the return path supposed to be?  Via the ``public IP'' on the
>> NetBSD box, or via the box labelled `router'?
>
>Via the box labelled 'router'
>
>> More: is the router
>> using the same routable subnet as the ``public IP'', or is it a
>> disjoint subnet?
>
>No, 2 disjoint subnets.

Sorry: that was ambiguous. Subnets of a larger single-routed
enclosuing (su)bnet, or disjoint ssubnets routed by distinct ISPs?

Is it like this, where the left edge is, lets pretend, 12.224/16 and
the right edge is 203.98/16, say:

12.224.1.1                                                      203.98.1.2
                ---------------                     ---------
--- public IP | NetBSD 3.0 box |10.1.1.1----10.1.1.2| Router|Internet----
                ---------------                     ---------

Or more like this, where lets pretend you have 203.98/16, which is
locally subnetted it into mulple /22s, lets say:

203.98.10.1							203.98.20.2
--- public IP | NetBSD 3.0 box |10.1.1.1----10.1.1.2| Router|Internet----

where both left and right halves are part of a larger 203.98/x cloud
for 16 <= X < 22 ?  I'm assuming the latter, but I'm trying to be precise.

Is this like the PPP scenario Thor mentioned? I forget the details,
but IIRC Thor suggested a PPP-over-HDLC link beteen your NetBSD
machine and the box labelled "router". Is it something like that?