Subject: Re: IPFilter IPv6 configuration
To: Miles Nordin <carton@Ivy.NET>
From: Pelle Johansson <morth@morth.org>
List: tech-net
Date: 04/06/2005 20:35:32
2005-04-06 kl. 06.07 skrev Miles Nordin:

>     dr> One other question, if NAT were to support IPv6 also,
>
> WHAT!  who is asking you for IPv6 NAT?

I think the most obvious reasons would be transitions between IPv6 and
IPv4, in both directions.
This would be needed to completely get rid of an IPv4 internal network
but still provide connectivity to IPv4 sites.
On every endpoint, when it tries to connect to an IPv4 address, it's
translated into IPv6 with a certain prefix, sent to the router, which
then NATs it back to IPv4.

Ok, there's some work on this already, mainly faith(4). But it seems
very basic, as it only supports half of the process (IPv6->IPv4), only
supports TCP, and requires a specific bit to be set in the IPv6 packet
(why?). NAT already has the required functionality, except for IPv6
support.
--
Pelle Johansson
<morth@morth.org>