Subject: Re: kernel panics since 3/1: m_copym errors
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: Ian Zagorskih <ianzag@megasignal.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 03/31/2005 18:20:38
On Monday 07 March 2005 12:31, Hisashi T Fujinaka wrote:
> On Mon, 7 Mar 2005, Kentaro A. Kurahone wrote:
> > On Fri, Mar 04, 2005 at 10:07:26AM -0800, Hisashi T Fujinaka wrote:
> >> So I have a couple of simple questions, has anything major changed in
> >> the past week? Is m_copym or m_copydata used directly from userland
> >> at all? Is the mbuf copying code used in anything besides the network
> >> stack?
> >
> > Yes.  TCP/SACK got folded in.  I'm looking over the SACK code now to
> > see if there's anything that can cause this, but in the meanwhile,
> > could you disable sack via sysctl and tell me if the problem goes away?
> > (net.inet.tcp.sack=0)
>
> I have a hard time reliably reproducing the error, though it occurs more
> than once a day. After a panic the system isn't completely locked up so
> I can get a stack trace, but I haven't figured out how to save it. The
> only thing I remember from the stack trace is soo_close.

Looks like i have periodicall panics liks discussed in this thread for:

$ uname -a
NetBSD IANZAG 3.99.2 NetBSD 3.99.2 (IANZAG-ACPI) #1: Tue Mar 29 19:31:02 NOVST
2005  toor@NBSD1:/usr/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/IANZAG-ACPI i386

Panic is happene when i'm building heavy packages like firefox or koffice one
per about two or three hours of working.

Machine itself is accessible from Internet with ssh and http throuh NAT. On my
own workstation which is behind firewall i do not see any panics.

Unfortunatelly, i don't know how to save bt output when i'm in ddb too :( man
ddb does not say anything about how to force core dumps. When i'm running
with ddb disabled i do not get cores too -> i suspect panic is triggered
several times and core isn't saved.

> I'm turning off tcp sack for now.

Mine has defaule value for 3.99.2 build.

Any ideas?

// wbr