Subject: Re: can't raise in kernel pppoe0 with mtu > 1460
To: Carl Brewer <carl@bl.echidna.id.au>
From: Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>
List: tech-net
Date: 03/22/2005 13:00:28
--nextPart1482956.kEnMuNod5D

On Tuesday 22 March 2005 03:30, Carl Brewer wrote:
> So, it's possible to suggest that there may be a more strident
> firewall causing the problem, and clamping is probably
> not necessary.  Unless, as you suggest, there's some braindead
> transparent proxy somewhere, but that's again, possibly on the
> other side of the firewall.
>
> But you're right, it's possible that Alicia isn't the one
> blocking the ICMP, in which case my assumtion is incorrect,
> but at least they now have a reference to pass on upstream
> if indeed this turns out to be a problem somewhere else,
> especially if it's some broken Firewall-nONE VPN .. urghhhh

Likely he's not the cause, since contacting the update site initially sends=
=20
very little data.

If you can reach www.disney.com, you are likely not troubled by mss clampin=
g,=20
and some other problem is happening.

I hate that Alltel (the only DSL I can get here) uses PPPoE, but I suddenly=
=20
find myself stuck with 1:1 mapping rules even for static IP addresses.  Wha=
t=20
a hack.

=2D-Michael