Subject: Re: Some discussion of NewReno implementation issues
To: Charles M. Hannum <abuse@spamalicious.com>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 01/26/2005 21:32:08
On Thu, Jan 27, 2005 at 01:33:16AM +0000, Charles M. Hannum wrote:

> As it turns out:
>
> 1.164        (tls      22-Apr-04): int  tcp_do_newreno = 1;     /* Use the New
> Reno algorithms */

[...]
> I am rather shocked that it was enabled when it was known to be broken.

It certainly wasn't "known to be broken" by me.  I asked on the lists why
it was _off_ by default and got no answer, so I asked several individual
developers (including Jason, I think) and got a rough consensus to turn
it on, which I did.

"The inconsistency is startling, though admittedly, if consistency is to be
 abandoned or transcended, there is no problem."		- Noam Chomsky