Subject: Re: IPv6 autoconfig for a multi-interface host
To: Bill Studenmund <>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <>
List: tech-net
Date: 01/14/2005 15:47:53
In message <>, Bill Studenmund writes:

>I'm looking at what's needed to make IPv6 autoconfiguration work on a host=
>with multiple interfaces. And I'm quite confused. In looking at rtsold, I=
>found the following comment in the man page:
>     The IPv6 autoconfiguration specification assumes a single-interface ho=
>     You may see kernel error messages if you try to autoconfigure a host w=
>     multiple interfaces.  Also, it seems contradictory for rtsold to accept
>     multiple interface arguments.
>So what should we do?

I just skimmed draft-ietf-ipv6-rfc2462bis-07.txt, the current draft for
IPv6 autoconfig.  I saw nothing in it that prohibits its use on
multi-interface hosts.  In fact, there are several places that
explicitly use the plural form, such as the abstract:

   This document specifies the steps a host takes in deciding how to
   autoconfigure its interfaces in IP version 6.

The document is in Last Call for promotion to Draft Standard; if I'm
wrong and there is such text in there, send a note to and/
or complaining.  The deadline is 28 January 2005.

		--Prof. Steven M. Bellovin,