Subject: Re: IPv6 autoconfig for a multi-interface host
To: Hubert Feyrer <>
From: Bill Studenmund <>
List: tech-net
Date: 01/07/2005 17:18:50

On Fri, Jan 07, 2005 at 11:28:50PM +0100, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
> On Fri, 7 Jan 2005, Bill Studenmund wrote:
> >I'm looking at what's needed to make IPv6 autoconfiguration work on a ho=
> >with multiple interfaces. And I'm quite confused. In looking at rtsold, I
> >found the following comment in the man page:

Uhm, the part you snipped is the one that takes this thread from one that=
the documents below describe to one that they don't. :-|

> >So what should we do?
> You don't want rtsold (it's for mobile IP or so). What you want is set
> ip6mode=3Dautohost and rtsol=3Dyes in /etc/rc.conf, that's all to accept=
> router advertizements and solicit a RA once at boot.
> See,=20
> and=20
> for more information.
>  - Hubert
> P.S.: ISTR there was some rfc/draft that hosts with multiple interfaces
>       should not use autoconfiguration at all, so you may be lost here.
>       See documentation on the 'ip6mode' for more information.

Well, not being able to use some form of autoconfig is lame. Think about=20
all the motherboards with two ethernet interfaces. Hook them both up to=20
two nets, and v4 works. If v6 can't work in the same way, v6 is less=20
useful than v4. :-(

Take care,

Version: GnuPG v1.2.3 (NetBSD)