Subject: Re: CARP
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: Miles Nordin <carton@Ivy.NET>
List: tech-net
Date: 12/29/2004 13:54:44
--pgp-sign-Multipart_Wed_Dec_29_13:54:34_2004-1

    jl> Related IETF Meeting Minutes from the 58th IETF Meeting in
    jl> Minneapolis, Minnesota USA:

That's one hell of an announcement.  But isn't there some tiny
hype-free userland package that does the same thing?

$ cd /scratch/pkgsrc/net
$ grep -i failover */DESCR
pen/DESCR:we get load balancing and "fair" failover for free.
ucarp/DESCR:provide automatic failover. It is a portable userland implementation of the

so, maybe check out the 'ucarp' package and report back?

I know we are missing some very significant firewall
stability/functionality and TCP stack improvements relative to
OpenBSD, but I don't understand yet why something as simple as carp
belongs in the kernel.  Maybe there is some good reason, i dunno, but
I think this has come up before on this list, and no one had a good
answer for why it needs kernel drivers and conference announcements
back then, either.  so, if there is really more to it, I'd be
interested!  I haven't used any of this stuff myself yet.

--
The auditing that is conducted on slot machine software in the U.S. is
significantly more meticulous than what is done to voting software.