Subject: Re: ftp over ppp problem
To: None <tech-net@NetBSD.org>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <ignatios@cs.uni-bonn.de>
List: tech-net
Date: 12/08/2004 16:34:50
--3eH4Qcq5fItR5cpy

On Wed, Dec 08, 2004 at 04:58:54PM +0200, Brad du Plessis wrote:
> > a) make sure the TAs create and obey cts/rts
> >
> > b) make sure your machine's serial ports are used with crt/rts (your
> >    variant of ppp will have to be configured for this; for "normal" pppd
> >    it's the "crtscts" keyword, I think)
>=20
> The TA's were configured to use cts/rts flow control and I'd also configu=
red
> pppd to use cts/rts. Is the fact the the TA's are USB likely to be a prob=
lem
> in this regard? Surely the USB flow control works in exactly the same way=
 as
> serial?
>=20
> > 1. serial handshaking problem, resulting in bytes lost resulting in ppp
> >    packet  loss
>=20
> Is there any test that I can perform to explicitly confirm that serial
> handshaking is the problem?

Ah, simulated serial. Well, you can't easily look at the simulated
handshaking lines, so I don't know how to check...

But this is likely your problem when you're doing highspeed (for a
serial) transfers with lots of handshaking events. At least, somebody
explained it a few days ago on tech-hm... was it kern?, like this:

all handshaking events on the simulated serial need an USB packet to
be exchanged; so the latency for handshaking events is much higher than
on a real RS232 port.

Regards,
	-is

--3eH4Qcq5fItR5cpy