Subject: Re: ftp over ppp problem
To: None <tech-net@NetBSD.org>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <ignatios@cs.uni-bonn.de>
List: tech-net
Date: 12/08/2004 13:44:14
--K/NRh952CO+2tg14

On Wed, Dec 08, 2004 at 02:44:07PM +0200, Brad du Plessis wrote:
>=20
> The issue I'm seeing is that while a telnet session between the two seems=
> work fine, an ftp session does not. After initiating the ftp connection,
> doing a directory listing on the remote system (ls) works ok most of the
> time. However, attempting to transfer a file in either direction appears =
> transmit no data whatsoever.
>=20
> What's more interesting, is that when I set the transmit and receive buff=
er
> size for the ftp session to 512 bytes, I can transfer data without a prob=
lem
> (albeit very slowly, about 2KBytes / second).

In my humble experience, the three most likely causes of this are:

1. serial handshaking problem, resulting in bytes lost resulting in ppp
   packet  loss
2. serial handshaking problem, resulting in bytes lost resulting in ppp
   packet  loss
3. serial handshaking problem, resulting in bytes lost resulting in ppp
   packet  loss.

a) make sure the TAs create and obey cts/rts

b) make sure your machine's serial ports are used with crt/rts (your=20
   variant of ppp will have to be configured for this; for "normal" pppd
   it's the "crtscts" keyword, I think)

c) make sure your serial cable has at least 8 connected lines:
   2,3,4,5,6,7,8,20

	-is

--K/NRh952CO+2tg14

--K/NRh952CO+2tg14--