Subject: Re: NetBSD and large pps
To: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
From: Mihai CHELARU <kefren@netbastards.org>
List: tech-net
Date: 12/02/2004 13:08:05
Martin Husemann wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 02, 2004 at 12:13:04PM +0200, Mihai CHELARU wrote:
>
>>I don't use NAPI nics so I get around 30k irqs/sec. Is this a
>>known issue ? What can I do about it ?
>

> What is NAPI?
> What nics do you use?
>
> Martin

NAPI is also known as RX Polling. From what I understood it's a way of
buffering ingress packets at layer 2 and not generating an IRQ for every
packet it receives. It's available for Intel Pro/1000 (epro 1000).

I use broadcom pci-x cards (bge) BCM5702X.

For what I see there is a problem with IRQ limit in NetBSD. On other
machine I have a pgsql that sometimes goes also at around 30k IRQs/sec
and also suddenly reboots (don't ask me what that pgsql is doing there,
some strange half-page select that is driving that multi-proc machine
into nuts - 30k tlb shootdowns IRQs).

--
Mihai