Subject: Re: slashdot on 'OpenBSD Activism Shows Drivers Can Be Freed'
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: Miles Nordin <carton@Ivy.NET>
List: tech-net
Date: 11/03/2004 12:39:35
--pgp-sign-Multipart_Wed_Nov__3_12:39:24_2004-1

Yeah, thanks for your post.  I've been saying the ``binary HAL is for
compliance'' argument is bullshit for a while, but without the
reference to SDR and subjective but informed perspective you provide.

I talked with Dragorn the kismet guy, and he supported Atheros too---I
was kind of astonished.  Maybe he will come around.  His perspective
was, there are so many tools to launch wireless DoS, and if atheros
were open, these tools would become dramatically more powerful.

    dy> You might ask, why does it matter whether the software
    dy> interface concealed by the HAL is opened up?

Fifth, so the radio will work on something besides an i386 PeeCee.
This is, pretty dramatic from my perspective.  Non-i386 are really in
a corner wireless-wise right now.

not that the PRISM driver is particularly regression-free on macppc
(or hpc*?) either, but it does sorta work, and with ath_hal.o it is
nearly impossible.  If the trend continues, we will need a whole vm86
subsystem just to deal with this _hal.o garbage.  ridiculous.

--
Le fascisme est la dictature ouverte de la bourgeoisie.
		-- Georg Dimitrov